U.S.S. Chilton bell installation pushed back
Carter Giles and his mother Rachel updated the Chilton County Commission about his Eagle Scout project to place the U.S.S. Chilton bell on display in the county courthouse.
The primary discussion involved the installation process and what all would be included.
The introduction ceremony for the bell was originally planned to be held on Memorial Day weekend, but the Commission approved Giles’ request to change the date to July 2 as part of the Fourth of July festivities.
The ceremony will begin at 2 p.m. in the courthouse and last about an hour.
“We wanted it to be specifically around a patriotic holiday,” Rachel Giles said. “This is meant to be for the community.”
Security for the event will be provided by the Chilton County Sheriff’s Office.
“Anything to do with the veterans, we always try to help out,” Chilton County Sheriff John Shearon said.
Commissioner Joseph Parnell will look into an effort to make sure that he and other commissioners available rotate turns volunteering their time to be in the courthouse when the bell is being installed and during the ceremony.
Everyone is invited to attend the ceremony remembering those who have served in the military from Chilton County.
“Thank you for what you are doing,” Commissioner Allen Caton said.
In other news from the meeting, the Commission:
- Approved permission for County Engineer Tony Wearren to advertise for another truck driver to fill a vacancy.
- Approved the request by Billy Singleton of the Airport Authority for the chairman to sign documentation for Alabama Power to put a power pole on airport property.
- Approved Sheriff John Shearon’s request to reclassify corrections officer Daniel Nichols to full time at $12.58 per hour, as well as corrections officer Austin Carr to part-time deputy at $13 per hour. Both are effective May 6.
- Approved a list of line item transfers concerning salaries and health insurance.
- Approved resolution for chairman to sign revised procurement procedures requested by ALDOT.
- Approved permission for Chilton County Transit to surplus a 2008 Ford Cutaway E350.
- Approved Chilton County Transit to hire Russ Mims to fill a vacant driver position that has been advertised.
- Approved Chilton County Transit to promote of Charlotte Smith to dispatcher to replace current dispatcher Steve Roberson who will be moving soon. It was posted internally.
- Approved Chilton County Transit to promote James Smith to full time driver to replace Charlotte Smith’s vacancy. It was posted internally.
- Denise Hafer of the Commission office spoke on behalf of Jessica Carter of the Chilton County Transit, who was not present at the meeting.
- Commissioners Jimmie Hardee and Joseph Parnell were nominated to the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Local Area Board.